Workshops

Adventures in Monoprinting

This post is a bit overdue. My official excuse is “I was waiting to get my hands on all the prints” but what actually happened was “I couldn’t be bothered to sit down and write about this”. But hey, better late than never, right?

The first session was on the 6th of October, and we only worked with flat colors (the piece of glass I started with had yellow on it). As far as I know we were supposed to work on the whole analogue-digital theme, so I spent most of this first exercise just trying to work with this new technique and attempting to trace images from my summer project.

scan005_web

This is just a very basic outline of a data projector. I was trying to work on tracing the image without putting my hand on the paper to avoid having a huge yellow area on the paper. It kinda worked in terms of not covering the whole thing in paint, but at the same time the projector looks like a six year old drew it with a yellow crayon.

scan003_web

Here I tried working with two colors (one printed, the other drawn on afterwards) while tracing a record player and reel-to-reel tape player. The former turned out an incomprehensible mess, but the latter one is pretty good for a first attempt. Ignoring the fact that one of the reels has an extra hole in it, amd the tape is so faint it might as well not exist.

 

scan002_web

This was my attempt at actual two-color printing, and it was totally unrelated to anything else here. I think I got the yellow spiral and diagonal lines with a brush, but I don’t remember what I used for the green lines. I like this one a lot, especially the texture of the green areas.

scan006_web

The last print I made used three colors: black for the slide projector’s outline (which actually turned out reasonable well!), old yellow paint for the light, and the two inexplicable blobs that got stuck on the paper, and green for the random overlay texture I don’t remember my reasoning for. This one is pretty good compared to the other ones, and I actually expanded on this later.


The second session was held a week later, and we moved on to using gradients. That change made the final images look surprisingly good compared to the previous ones.
Once again I started with some simple things, but before we get to those, here’s a print I made here that is more reminiscent of the ones from a week before.

scan004_web

The different styled lines were all made with different pens, pencils, rulers, or other things, and the idea was that I’d make imprints of each tool at the beginning of the respective lines. Well that didn’t work so it’s just a paper with a green-ish background and some weird lines.

scan010_web

So this is the first print that uses a gradient, and I love how this turned out, especially the fact that both ends of the lines are a lot more noisy than the middle parts. I don’t really know why, but I just like the way this looks.

scan011_web

This was made on the exact same painted glass as the previous image, but I turned the paper turned the paper around and did the same marks except with a reverse gradient. All three sections are made by hand; the left one is my fingertips, the middle one is knuckles, and the right one is a full hand print. Nothing too special, just trying out stuff.

scan001_web

Here’s the companion piece to the slide projector print, and going back to the theme of analogue-digital it’s projecting the image of a GPS application (which was traced from my summer project). After I got the “screen” done I outlined the basic areas of the image on the back of the paper, and then used those guidelines to apply the paint with the help of a brush.  The yellow turned out to be a bit more orange than I hoped, so I had to work on the colors a bit when linking the two images together. Also, I have no clue why I drew that wavy line in the middle of the screen. Not that I mind it too much, but I don’t feel like it’s helping anything.

scan007_web

This is the final image I’ve done. I used my small protractor/ruler to divide the paper into several triangles, and then proceeded to apply different gradients to each area. The idea was to make a sort of map that’s made entirely out of a geometric shape, but done in a messy, hand-drawn way, and not digitally. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to so I’m perfectly satisfied with this one.


And that’s where I was before starting to work on the typography showcase which utilizes some of these prints. I guess that’s going to be my next blog post then.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *